- They don’t know the practice, or they don’t care
- “i thought everyone knew…”
- While your writing may be exquisite, your failure to properly cite sources will make it uglier
- There is no particular right or wrong way to write, but there are conventions.
- Armadillo roadkill: dropping in a quotation without introducing it first.
- comes out of nowhere
- to fix: signal that a quote is coming and give context
- build up to quote then explain
- Dating Spiderman: starting or ending a paragraph with a quotation
- not necessarily wrong, and sometimes one is looking for surprise
- there is no guidance and no explanation of the quote
- the fix: guide to and lead the writers away from the quote